"My favorite animal is steak." ~ Fran Lebowitz.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Chicken and Pork Adobo


I bought a lot of chicken and western pork ribs on sale at the grocery a few days ago. My first thought was to make BBQ until I remembered that BBQ sauce was not Low Carb. Shucks! What to do? ADOBO! Of course! Having been married to a Filipino man I became acquainted with a number of traditional dishes from the Philippines, and Adobo was always one of my favorites.

The word "adobo" simply means "seasoning or marinade," and there are a number of variations ranging from savory to sweet within the Filipino cuisine. Having been most accustomed to the savory adobo, that is what I set out to imitate for this dish. Also, because I am personally sensitive to Soy Sauce (due to high sodium content even in the low sodium version, and the fact it is soy based) I have left that out, as some authentic versions do not add it anyway. But, if you do not have an aversion to soy sauce, or it is not limited in your particular way of eating you may add it to taste.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb. chicken (thighs, drum sticks, wings - your preference)
1 1/2 lb. pork, cut in pieces about 2 x 3 inches and 1/2 inch thick
1 C cider vinegar
1 sm. head garlic, crushed and minced (approx. 6 cloves)
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
2 T Kosher salt
3 T olive oil

Sprinkle salt and pepper over meat. Put meat in saucepan with pork at bottom. Add rest of ingredients. On high heat, bring it to a boil, then turn heat to medium for 30-40 minutes. If meat is tender, simmer until sauce thickens and meat browns and crisps a bit.

Enjoy with a side of high fiber steamed vegetables such as broccoli.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog Cjane! love the Adobo recipe. I will try it to stay on track!

OhYeahBabe said...

You're making me hungry! Sounds awesome.
OYB

Resolve not to get ripped off by scams like Kimkins!
Friends don't let friends do the Kimkins Starvation Diet!